Monday, August 29, 2016

Visceral Response

There are many things that are beautiful to me, but the most significant beauty happens when there is a memory attached.This is a photograph that I took on a trip between my junior and senior year to Europe. It is hard to express the feelings I had and the beauty I saw while I was there, it was always a dream of mine to see that part of the world and with hard work I was able to raise enough money to get myself over there. This photo was taken in a little town in Italy called Assisi, this town is set on a hill and overlooks the Italian countryside. Within the town there are so many nooks and hidden places and every time I look at this photo I took, memories of the trip come flooding back, and there is such a beauty to those memories. 

There are many design elements that express the beauty that I feel when I look at this picture. The lines in the photo lead your eye around a corner and I am aways curious what would be the destination of following the alleyway. I love the shadows that are present in this photo, it creates a sense of mystery and curiosity. The Color is this photo also plays a huge role. There are soft greens from the plants and the majority of the photo has muted tones and the gray and tan colors from the walls and street that also give off the sensation of curiosity and charm. The shapes are very soft an warm looking from the worn down cobblestones to the Italian dining tables that are very inviting. Although this is just a photograph there is a definite form, whenever I look at it I feel like I am right back in Italy and walking those cobblestone streets. I also think this sense of awe and wonder is created by the texture of the photo, I can imagine if I were to touch the walls or the ground how it would feel. 


It is amazing to me how one photo can stir my emotions and urge me to explore and travel. This is such a stupefying photograph and there sometimes it is hard to express the beauty and sense of longing that I get whenever I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment